Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Degree symbol (°) is a special symbol that is generally not available on your computer’s keyboard. Though,the degree sign can be found in very few computer keyboard (which are made for special purposes) but it’s very rare. This is a very useful sign that we need to use on a regular basis. If you are new in MS Word, then this article is for you when you are looking for “how to write degrees” or “alt code of degree” etc. etc.
In general, we use the degree sign (°) to denote temperature (°C or °F) and to write down the measurement of an angle (30° or 60° etc.) in a document. When I write the document on a paper, then writing degree is not an issue. It is nothing but a circular symbol beside a numeric character. But, typing degree sign (°) using a keyboard on the computer is an interesting task. And you can’t type the symbol without knowing the exact procedure.
I have already found more than one method to type degree symbol. You don’t need to be masters of the computer to write the symbol. If you would like to write the degree(°) symbol when typing, you can use alt code or HTML Unicode whichever and wherever necessary. The methods of typing the degree for Windows and other OS are slightly different. In this tutorial, I mainly mention the methods of writing degree sign on Windows computer.
Type Degree (°) Symbol in Computer/PC/MS Word/Notepad – How?
To add the degree symbol at the typed text we always prefer using the Windows and Mac keyboard shortcut. Due to the keyboard variation, the shortcuts are different compared to Windows and Mac. Let see the methods below.
Method #1: Use Shortcut Keys to Type Degree-Sign in Windows PC
- Open any word document, notepad file, email, or browser’s URL field to type degree sign (°).
- Make sure that you have enabled the number lock feature of your Windows keyboard.
- Fix your mouse cursor exactly where you want to write the symbol of degree.
- Hold the ALT key on your keyboard and type 0176 or 248.
- Release the ALT key then.
- The degree (°) sign will appear immediately where you want to write it.
- Make sure that you use the right ALT key and enable number lock.
Method #2: Type Degree Symbol in Mac Using Keyboard
- Open the text document and keep the mouse cursor where you want to write the symbol.
⌥Opt + ⇧Shift + 8together.
- This will create the ° symbol wherever the mouse cursor is.
Note: This key combination works only with Mac OS and Mac keyboard.
Method #3: Type Degree (°) Symbol Especially in MS Word (Few Unconfirmed Steps)
There are few unconfirmed methods of typing the degree sign in MS word.
Ctrl+Shift+@together. Release the keys and hit spacebar to create a degree mark.
- Type 00B0 and press
Alt+Xto convert the 00B0 to a degree symbol.
Method #4: Use Insert Symbol Feature to Write Degree (°) Mark in MS Word
- Open a word document of MS word.
- Move the cursor where you want to type the degree sign.
- Navigate to Insert >> Symbol
- Choose More symbols option.
- Find the symbol and tap it to insert it in the document.
Alternatively, if you choose the replace option from the MS word and type ‘<0>’, it will be converted automatically to degree symbol.
You can use the Character map option of Windows and copy the degree symbol from the chart. You can paste the degree symbol direct to the word document. Here, you will get the alt code of each symbol including the degree.
Write Degree (°) Symbol in Smartphone Like Android, iPhone
It is very easy to write degree sign using a mobile, smartphone or tablet. When you type something on your smartphone the keyboard appears. Tap “Sym” button and find the degree sign at the second page. Just see the image to get the idea.
How to Type the Degree Sign in HTML
If you have a website and want to edit degree sign in HTML pages, then here is the Unicode or HTML code of degree sign.
- HTML code of degree: ° or °
- Unicode of degree: U+00B0
- Direct shortcut of °C Unicode is: U+2103
- Direct shortcut of °F Unicode is: U+2109
- Direct shortcut of °C HTML code is: ℃
- Direct shortcut of °F HTML code is: ℉
I have covered all the possible and easiest ways to write degree (°) sign at the typed text. Hope, this will solve your problem regarding degree symbol in the typed document.
Also useful: Best productivity tool for office work